Sunday 20 November 2011

Reflection on Mobile Phones Wiki

Hello, today I am going to give my reflection on a mobile phones wiki activity that required the learners to 'put' different coloured hats on and give their opinion on the issue of mobile phones in the classroom. This forum seemed to be a social constructivism activity. According to our course readings, Constructivists believe that:
"learners construct their own reality or at least interpret it based upon their perceptions of experiences, so an individual's knowledge is a function of one's prior experiences, mental structures, and beliefs that are used to interpret objects and events."
"What someone knows is grounded in perception of the physical and social experiences which are comprehended by the mind."
(Jonasson, 1991, cited in Mergel, 1998)
The wiki allowed each learner to add their own idea, and a range of perspectives were able to be gathered as the wiki was scaffolded in a way which supported thinking that allowed direction according to the sections that were available to be commented on.

After reading what others had written on the wiki, I choose to 'put' on the Black hat, this was the negative hat. I felt that I could only provide a negative opinion on the idea of having mobile phones in the classroom as I can see the massive distraction that they would prove to be. However after posting my comment and going back a few days later, the different perspectives allow you to go away and continue to think about the issue. Some peoples opinions were very convincing and at times I felt I could change my hat to a creative one as I could see and understand how mobile phones might be useful in the classroom if monitored correctly. This is one of the benefits in participating in a wiki. As I did, many people would go in and have a one track mind and give their opinion, however once they have the opportunity to read what others have said, like me many may find they want to change their hat. That's the great thing with a wiki .... you can voice your opinion and later as you read on you become more informed by what others have to say which helps re-shape the opinion you already had shaped in your mind.
It makes me ponder to myself .... oh how different things would be if people choose to firstly offer their opinion and then take the time to listen or read others, as you never know how your learning or opinion will be re-shaped when you take in what others have said on the same issue!!
I long to be someone that would not be one track minded, but rather be a learner who would continue to allow some of my ideas and opinions to be re-shaped as the future and technology changes.
Cheers Danielle


No comments:

Post a Comment