Saturday 10 December 2011

Digital Tool 3 - Creating a Website (Group 1 Tools: Online spaces - Web 2.0)

I must say that I have never EVER created a website. I have heard of websites ... that's an easy one ... they show us information and some even allow us to purchase items. But how would they be useful in a classroom? I must say it has got me thinking about many different things while I look at this tool. I guess one thought is that a website is a way for a teacher to post information for students to be able to find, read and interact with and unlike a Wiki they wouldn't be able to edit the information. Students would be able to access the website from during class at school, and then again at home if they had not finished all the work or activities that were posted to the website. That is of course a website that has been made by the teacher. But what if students had the opportunity to create their very own website? I have just been experimenting briefly with the free websites run by Weebly. I didn't realise at the time that there is a education version which allows students to create a website which can be monitored by the teacher. I have began to play with and create just a normal Weebly account, however when I choose to create one for use in schools I will use the educational version. I haven't added much to my Weebly website and have only put some basic information on the home page, but looking around at the different links the possibilities are endless. The old days of students creating posters with different information for an assignment seems boring after looking at the Weebly websites. Students could even work in pairs, of small groups if needed or even work individually to create a website on Rome, China or even on an experiment they had completed. the possibilities are amazing ..... and what student wouldn't want to create their very own website. With the right encouragement and resources they have the potential to create something that is interesting, creative, and can even add movies, visual and digital effects along with information. I realise that the web can be a harmful place at times but with the correct monitoring and teacher input the students could be guided down a whole new learning experience .... and I would love to be a teacher that was able to utilise this wonderful technology and give my students a learning experience with a difference . . . I must say that this tool has excited me the most .. sure blogs and wikis have their place in the classroom but I feel a website creates a platform for a whole new level of learning and education that integrates ICT within the learning environment.
I cant wait to have the spare time to continue playing with my website ...
I might go do that now so cheers for now
Danielle.

No comments:

Post a Comment