Sunday 11 December 2011

Group 2 Technologies - Tool 4 - Digital Images, 5 - Podcasts and 6 - Digital Video

So far in my e-learning journey I have had a quick look at Blogs, Wikis and Websites. All three have been interesting. Now I am going to have a look at the Group 2 tools of Technologies which includes - Tool 4 - Digital Images, Tool 5 - Podcasts and Tool 6 - Digital Video. Out of these tools I must say I have not heard a great deal of Podcasts. So I am hoping to gain a little insight into what a Podcast is and how it may help students learn. However I will begin with Digital images and work my way through the different tools.
Thibaultm and Walbert in Reading images: an introduction to visual literacy say that, “Literacy” usually means the ability to read and write, but it can also refer to the ability to “read” kinds of signs other than words. After reading this I straight away thought of all the signs we need to be able to read / interpret when we are driving. How did we learn this skill? Well it is not something I usually think of ... who taught me this? Or did I just 'know' how to do it? Well of course someone had to teach me, and I guess it is one of those things you 'learn' without realising you have learnt it.
When I think about teaching Biology, I really can see how images are needed and the need to be able to interpret images. Sometimes experiments require digital images to record information and in times like these students are going to need to know how to interpret such images. That's where wikis, blogs and websites have the potential to come in handy, as a place to post such findings.


The activity for digital images was to resize images using MobaPhoto. I had a play with some photos of my own and was amazed at how easy it was to do and how good they turned out. I was surprised that the image quality didn't change when the photo resized.

Podcasts ... as I mentioned at the beginning I had never heard of a podcast. I must say that after reading the information presented on podcasts, I am not convinced that I could use them within my learning context. I feel that students would get bored with just hearing voices and not seeing any images. It would be like watching a movie and hearing all the words but watching a black screen. I was unable to get my head around the technical side of making a podcast but have however searched other podcasts to see if I could find one that might be useful in the classroom. And have listened to some that are actually really interesting.. It changes my perspective on them a little and I find myself thinking ... just because I don't like the idea of myself using them, that doesn't mean I should stop my students using them, and I myself might gain more insight in the use of a podcast by watching others utilise them for their own work.

The last tool for this group of technologies is tool 6 - digital videos. Now we all know videos are fun to watch. Some are funny, some are sad, some are informative and others just boring.  I know I used to love watching them when I was in school because I learned better this way, as opposed to just reading the textbook. I have always been a fan of videos being used in the classroom, not because it is a 'lazy' way of teaching as some might see it, but with Biology some things are better explained in motion, so I understand and value the use of digital videos within the learning environment. I could explain the process of Cell Division to the students and provide examples and pictures on the interactive whiteboard and this might really appeal to the students, but what about actually showing them a digital video on the topic. There are a range of videos available for teachers to show to students that help them make sense and process the information given to them. Introduction to Cells by Frank Gregorio gives a quick introduction to the topic of cells and there are others that show the process. I am not at all able to create this video it is so in depth nor would the students be able to, however they would be able to create a video of their own to show their interpretation on the topic, Or create a video on an assignment they are completing. I remember just recently in a Legal Studies class, the class was required to present an oral assignment on a legal issue of their choice. One student choose to record herself, playing a news presenter and I must say the students were so engaged with her video and presentation. It was a very creative way to present her assignment, and other students were wanting to have a go at doing one too. I had a go at making a video, using windows live movie maker. I must say I am surprised at how easy it seemed .... but maybe that was only because it is basic and not cinema quality :) but nevertheless I gave it a go.


The images used in my video are all taken by myself and don't involve people .. just plants.... however there are always legal, safe and ethical guidelines which need to be used by teachers and students. In my next blog I will have a look at some of these guidelines and discuss how I will practise safe, legal and ethical guidelines within my classroom.

Cheers Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment