Wednesday 14 December 2011

Group 4 Technologies - Google Earth and Google Maps

After having a look through these tools, I was a little overwhelmed. I have not heard of many of these tools, so thought I was a little over my head. But after having a quick look I choose Google Earth and Google maps. What I like the most with these tools? Well that's easy. What a great way to learn about different locations throughout the world all with a click of a mouse! Studying Insect species or even endangered species, students could research where they live, what the habitat is like now and if there has been any change to the habitat in the past 5 years (missing vegetation etc). I also was thinking about a class excursion . . . all over the world . . . without leaving the classroom. I remember once... I was sitting at home bored . . and google earth came to mind... I did what any other bored person would . . .searched one of my old addresses, just to see what the street looks like now. I was amazed as the change that had occurred over time.While looking through the readings for this week. I enjoyed the idea of the 'Use this Google Maps Mashup to locate and learn about recent earthquakes around the world' These tragic events, not only earth quakes but tsunamis are happening all over the world. The ability to show students on a map where these things are happening gives them a better perspective of the world and the things in it. Once upon a time, this couldn't be done. If a bad natural disaster happened over seas it took months for the information to reach our shores, but now it is hear instantaneously. I believe that this is also a way to engage students. Show students where they have occurred, where the risk of one might be, the magnitude etc, get them to research the impact. The list of possibilities goes on and on . .  I have found that with most of the technologies . . . just when you think you know what to do, everything changes. But we have to be versatile and be able to change with it, and do our best to continue to learn and be updated on things we ourselves can use in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment