Thursday 15 December 2011

My Synopsis

An act of travelling from one place to another - that is one of the many definitions of the word journey. With most journeys we have some idea of where we might be heading. But that is not how I felt when I started this E-Learning course. I had no idea where to start with all the different technologies. Sure I know what a computer is, and I know how to use facebook, but I found that many of the tools were new to me. So what is the point of E-Learning? Why is it important and what can we learn? It is important as, 'Changes in pedagogical practice involve the use of various technologies, tools, and e-content as part of whole class, group, and individual student activities. Changes in teacher practice involve knowing where and when (as well as when not) to use the technology for classroom activities and presentations, for management tasks, and to acquire additional subject matter and pedagogical knowledge in support of the teachers’ own professional development (UNESCO, 2008). I feel slightly embarrassed to say that I have grown up with technology at my finger tips, however I failed to use it to it's full potential.
"...learning is not something that just happens to you, it is something that you do to yourself. You cannot be 'given' learning, nor can you be forced to do it. The most brilliant and inspired teacher cannot 'cause' you to learn. Only you can do that."
                                                                               Dr. Robert Leamnson           
I had to question myself. How was I going to give myself the best chance at learning and how was I going to gain an understanding of these tools? First I began reading. Next I found myself completing an activity to find my learning style (see blog). This next activity I completed required finding my way through the group mobile phone wiki and putting a hat on. (see blog). Looking back I can see I was not very open to the idea of too much technology in the classroom and thought it was more of a distraction then a help. This activity has helped shape my thoughts on the issue and I feel in the future I would be wearing a better coloured hat (see blog).  


What have I learnt?
In the beginning I was misinformed and inexperienced with this new concept. I often wondered of the dangers of having all these different tools within the classroom, but if all teachers and students ad hear to legal, safe and ethical guidelines, than this shouldn't be an issue.(see Blog) 


Education Queensland identifies digital pedagogy as being "a new way of working and learning with ICT to facilitate quality learning experiences for 21st Century learners. Digital Pedagogy moves the focus from ICT tools and skills, to a way of working in the digital world". (p.3). This way of working in the digital world is what makes e-learning what it is, and if used correctly has the potential to support a transformation of learning which is needed for these tech savoy learners. I needed to keep reading, and get more informed about the different technologies available for teachers to use within the learning environments.


Tool Group 1 - Websites
These tools were all about online spaces. Places where people can go to share information with others. I looked at both Blogs and Wiki's (see links). I also had a go at creating my own wiki (see here). After I had a look at those tools I moved on to websites (see blog). I found websites to be interesting and I was able to link both my blog, wiki and glogster to my website.(see here). I choose this tool as I found it easier to navigate then the other tools. I also thought, when teaching Legal Studies, students might find it interesting to create a 'mock' website advertising their very own legal firm. They would be able to upload cases, give information on the services they provide and then present their site to the class. Students work could also be assessed by the teacher.


Tool Group 2 - Digital Videos
These tools were technologies which included - digital images, podcasts and digital video. My blog reflects all three tools (see here) however the tool I feel would be fabulous for my teaching context of Biology was the digital videos. This is because you are able to create movies (which was new to me) using photos, add music and words. In Biology we rely on digital images to help demonstrate different processes. I thought the students would learn alot, if they were able to create a digital video or their experiment. They might be growing mung beans, they could take 1 picture every day or every week and by the time the mung beans are fully developed and producing beans they would have a remarkable collage of photos which could be turned into a digital video. They could even record themselves and narrate what is happening over the course of the mung beans life ... what student wouldn't find that exciting. The videos could then be watched by the class and students could comment on what went well and what didn't (if some died etc) and they would be able to see exactly when this started to occur.


Tool Group 3 - Glogster
This group of tools were tools which help present information. I looked at PowerPoint, Prezi and Glogster (see blog). At first I thought I would be most inpressed with PowerPoint (when used with activ inspire). I didn't find Prezi too interesting, I had a go at one but it ended up giving me a head ache with all the zooming in and out. Then I came to Glogster (my glogster) ... Oh my it is sooo amazing! I had the most fun using this tool (and wasted the most time on it). What a great way to make a poster, or present an information sheet, or facts. When I was in school we used word in the form of brochure templates to create a world holiday etc. Oh how boring that was when I looked at glogster. Students would got crazy for this program. It could be used across most teaching contexts, and across most age groups (my 3 year old even had a go and he was as excited as myself). It is great for engaging students, and it lets you see their creative side. It allows you to upload pictures, music, videos all on exciting backgrounds with cute pictures as well. I'm proud to say I will be playing with this program long after this course is over.


Tool Group 4 - Google Earth and Google Maps
Lastly, we come to group 4 - There are a fair few tools in this category. Some I had heard of and other were new to me (see blog). The two that I feel would be great to use in my teaching context is Google Earth and Google Maps. Both programs allow students to leave their chair and go on a digital adventure without ever leaving the classroom. They could investigate what is happening around the world, the impact of different natural disasters, and also the change in the environment. It gives students a great basis for research and also allows them to compare what is happening here and now with what is happening around the world. I feel it is important for students to know how different things are here and what is actually happening out in the world. We hear alot of the global economy, and students need to be aware of this also as when they finish school they become part of the big picture and Google Earth and Google Maps has the ability to show them.


Prensky (2005) claims that if you cannot engage young people in education then you will enrage them, as future teachers, how are we going to engage our students. This course so far has been a huge eye opener to me. I realised that even though I have grown up as a digital native, I have not kept up with the ever changing world of technology. I have not continued to grow technologically speaking. I feel this is bad! As a future educator I need to be up to date with the current trends, be able to successfully engage my students and I want to be able to master the technology available for teachers to use in the classroom and integrate technology into my lessons and get the best out of my future students.
Therefore I myself have alot more learning to do!!


References

Education Queensland. (2008). Smart Classrooms BYTES. Retrieved from: http://education.qld.gov.au/smartclassrooms/pdf/scbyte-elearning.pdf

Prenksy, M. (2005). “Engage me or enrage me” What today’s learners demand. Education Review 40(5), 60-64

United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (2008), Competency Standards Modules, Retrieved from: http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0015/001562/156207e.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment